Just arrived back in Toronto for one of my favourite times of year…
That’s right. We LOVE Halloween here at Oy Vegan!
But if too much candy is giving you a belly-ache, here is a super tasty and healthy treat that is incredibly easy to make, gluten-free, and raw!
Introducing Choco-Ghoulie Bars!
• 1/2 cup raw buckwheat
• 1/2 cup-3/4 cup of walnuts
• 15 (sometimes more) Medjool dates, pitted and chopped
• 1/4 cup of raw cocao powder
• 1/2 –1 teaspoon of salt
• Vegan chocolate chips
1. Place buckwheat in a food processor and pulse so that some of it breaks down into a flour-like substance. Don’t fully blend as you want to some whole, crunchy buckwheat in these bars!
2. Add walnuts, dates, and salt and pulse until the mixture is combined. Take a spoon and spoon some of the mixture into your hands. If the mixture sticks together then it is ready. If it is still crumbly, add more dates as needed and pulse. The dates are the ‘glue’ so to speak so sometimes more are needed to make this bar stick together.
3. Add the raw cocoa powder and pulse to combine ingredients once again.
4. Cover a square cake pan with plastic wrap or parchment paper. No need to do this if your pan is non-stick. Pour mixture out of food processor into the pan and press down. Press down on all the mixture and continue to really pack it into the bottom of the pan. Do this for about 5 minutes.
5. Chill in the refrigerator for at least an hour before cutting into bars and serving.
6. For a non-raw twist, melt some of your favourite vegan chocolate chips in a double boiler or in the microwave and drizzle over top before chilling in the fridge.
7. Enjoy your sinfully healthy and tasty Choco-Ghoulie bars!
Eat these bars for a speedy breakfast on-the-go or a quick snack after working out. They’re also great on all hallow’s eve!
However, if your sweet tooth is outta control, never fear! VegNews has a comprehensive list of Vegan Halloween candy so you can satisfy your desire.
Also, since it’s fall, why not try out a new vegan pumpkin pie recipe? We tried Chloe Coscarelli’s recipe from her new book Chloe’s Vegan Desserts. A very tasty result indeed!
Oy Vegan’s attempt at Chef Chloe’s Pumpkin Pie. Isn’t it purdy?
Wishing everyone a safe and spooky HALL-OY-WEEN!!!